Saturday 21 April 2012

Saturday morning in the Hurunui

When you are not working it is always interesting how your days pan out. It is definitely not like being on holiday, as there are always things to do, including looking for a job, however the weekend is the weekend. This morning (Saturday)I rose bright and early to leave around 7am and head up to Anna's at Harwarden (about 40 minutes inland) and go with them to watch Oscar's (10) first rugby game of the new season.
Knowing it was going to be a lovely day, I left a little early to take some sunrise photos. I have decided I need a new camera with a wide angle lens, as the landscapes are stunning, but so hard to capture on a 'point and shoot'
Only a few kilometers up the road is the beginning of the Waipara wine country, as you can see they are in full bloom, and in most caes vintage has started. Where I took the above photo is Pegasus Bay, and with the possible threat of a frost, they had the wind turbines going, it was like magic. Then turning left and heading inland the drive is just stunning, the hills in the foreground all in different shades of autumn to the base of the Southern Alps. Yes it was cold, but my, the crisp air and the beauty were a great compromise.
Going through Waikari, a small settlement on route (where Anna used to live) the ducks looked like they were meeting to make plans for the opening season hideaway.
After getting to Anna's we all headed up to Waiua for the rugby, again heading inland for a further 30 - 40 minutes, and I just listened to Anna talking about her love of the mountains and the views, it captures everyone. Many times they show on TV the 'grass roots' rugby of NZ, and here I was in the middle of it, the farming community with their families, take a plate, the St Johns man there to wipe the tears (as there were a few spills) and an array of very dirty 4wheel drives. I very proudly was sporting my red bands just like the locals. I am pleased to say the day warmed up beautifully, and the layers were peeled off one at a time, which was essential as the local kids were now in tshirt and shorts, and I looked like the michelen man!

1 comment:

  1. nice way to spend a morning MJ. Did you run up and down the sideline helping the ref ?

    ReplyDelete