Wednesday 11 April 2012

My New Home

Having only visited the Old Vicarage on two occasions, both lasting about 1 hour each prior to moving here I needed to re-introduce myself to this grand old lady.
My key memory was how big it was and the chandeliers, oh the chandeliers! They have to go, but will require some planning as they are in EVERY ROOM AND THE HALL (OK so there is only 7) Let me take you on a tour, now that most things have been unpacked and put away in the limitless storage!
The Office

I have turned the front living room, which will be repainted and plastered by EQC later in the year to my office. I have bought a second hand Rimu table to be my desk, and placed it where I look out on to the front lawn, the view the last of the roses, the maple tree nearly all yellow now, and my walnut tree providing me with fruit on a daily basis to be dried and cherished.
The room is large and in which I have a day bed in the bay window, for when I am weary during the day, and need to retire with a good book, and soak up the winter sun. (Weekends of course, because I will be working!!)
The walls are currently bare except for my wall planner, which shows all the comings and goings for the year, play dates and fun dates, but no hot dates to report yet.
Jane’s old book case, Mum’s old bridge table and Aunt Ruth’s old writing desk, my old Kauri dress and hat stand make up the current furniture, and eclectic but warming selection of furniture for this room.

My Room (across the hall from the office)

A rather unfortunate shade of pink, flounced by some old fashioned rose curtains frame this room, however two windows with gorgeous views of the garden, and 3 large wardrobes, from floor to ceiling, made of rimu anchor the room, so minimal furniture required. Molly, Charlie and self spend cosy nights sleeping in our new home.

The Library (was the office)

The smallest of the rooms outside the bathroom area, although if in Auckland would be classed as a double bedroom with fireplace and wall to ceiling bookshelves. This room also needs work, and the fireplace has be decommissioned by EQC, so eventually will come out. I feel so posh having a library, which currently houses my books, mostly cooking, games, and photos which one day will be arranged properly and form a ‘rogues gallery’ down the hall. This room is like the old flat you could hammer, nail and pin anything on the walls and it would look better.

Queen Room

A primrose / soft yellow. This room was probably the most recently painted etc. so looks suitably warm and cosy to all guests, with warm pinks and burgundy furnishings / linen to balance the walls. This room also has 2 floor to ceiling wardrobes. I have now been here 3 weeks and no less than 6 friends have already stayed in this room.

Twin Room
No photo as beds havent arrived yet.
The most neutral of the rooms, was originally the vicar’s reception / office as there is an outside door and small entrance, with that lovely mustardy coloured glass door – did I mention I see my home as a blank canvas for change, be it slowly and with matching income, but definitely some change is necessary
2 beds in here for the smaller of the visitors, which are extremely cosy with an eclectic mix of covers and duvets, but quite fun.

Le Toilette (this area needs a flash name)

Consists of the bathroom, shower, loo and laundry, 4 small wee rooms, which definitely need the decorators eye, but are clean and purposeful if a little too yellow!



The Grand Hall

Which commences at the Front Door (however most people come to the back door through the carport) and runs the length of the house with a grey floral worn carpet, and a runner covering the holes in the carpet. I liken my walking up and down the hallway (and not just because I keep forgetting what I went for in the first place) the amount of times I went up and down the office stairs at Millys, if for no other reason than the amount of times I cover the area, maybe I could get one of those travelators they have at airports.

The Living Room

And to the best room in the house, it is warm, sunny, happy, cosy and where one spends most of the time. It consists of the lounge area where Big Bertha, seating and tele reside alongside an enormous (almost semi commercial) fireplace, then at the other end of the room is the kitchen and dining table. Again quite dated colour wise and the lovely veneer cupboards, but perfectly acceptable for this year. This area leads out through sliding doors to a fabulously sunny deck on one side and the carport/garage on the other.





Across the lawn from the deck is a small studio, which started its life as a chook house, and then one of the priests converted it for his model railway. Most recently it was converted again for a photographic studio, small and cosy I am adapting it for the small visitors for drawing / playing etc.

The Loft

The most recent addition, is a self contained room above the garage, which will probably end up being a bed and breakfast, nothing in there at the moment, but watch this space.

Well that gives you some idea of my new home, which is slowly taking on my personality, I will introduce you to the garden and local area later.

No comments:

Post a Comment