Wednesday 18 April 2012

Autumn Leaves Everywhere

I am going with the theory that the autumn leaves are best left on the ground to decomposit and mulch the ground. I need this to be true because I have just spent an hour and 1/2 pretending to rake leaves, a minor bit of weeding, and dead heading the odd rose, and looking out my window all I can see are leaves.


My garden is simply gorgeous. Henk (Dutch descent), the previous owner planned and excuted the garden beautifully. It is predominantly trees and shrubs, which, although requiring work is not a prissy flowery garden with exception of the roses. Whilst I love lots of flowers, I know they require a lot more work, so am most happy to keep the status quo. Having said that, they still have weeds in the SI - who'd of thought, I just assume they only blossomed with humidity!

To the untrained eye, this is just a stream running through the garden, but to the ardent forager this is dinner. The lovely green leaves coming out of the stream is watercress and loads of it. I have already picked some and added it to my leek and potato soup, and had on salmon, peppery and fresh! I recently had a fellow forager knock at the door and ask he might pick some to which I replied there is plenty, just dont take it all.

Wherever you look are the trees turning colour, it is lovely especially when the sun is peeking through.

well the afternoon sun is shadowed by cloud now and in reality that does mean it is a good time to light the fire. I think officially I will need to light it each night now as I refuse to turn on a heater, trying to keep the power bill down!
So from the office of the Duchess I will sign off for today.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine myself in that window seat, reading the newspaper or a good book. There's nothing better than autumn leaves - either on the tree or on the ground. With the sun shining through the leaves (and, hopefully, a flat blue sky), well, nothing could be finer. What a lovely setting!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete