Tuesday 1 May 2012

Back in the Kitchen

Well from a wintery change yesterday, it has continued (and obviously here to stay). With some encouragement from Susan, I lit the fire at midday, she said just leave it on gently all day, not a concept we would adopt up North, as we would be in and out and feel a little bit wasteful. However, unless you keep vaccuming or dusting quite quickly the ice can form around one's nether regions. And there is something gorgeous about the fire, ask Charlie he is front and centre in 'old leather'. As an aside I think Molly & Charlie have noticed the climate change, they are heaps more hungry than in Auckland and we all share 'old leather' in the evening.
Molly, however, thought bed was still the best bet!
Anyway back to cooking, it is lovely to have a kitchen and all my very flash equipment out and in use. I currently have about 8 litres of Moroccan spicy carrot soup simmering away. The joy of peeling and cutting 5 kilos of carrots. There is a bus of Chch people who have been 'red zoned' coming up for a farm visit etc and church asked about lunch, so I offered soup. I am actually away that weekend, so I thought I would make and freeze, in my new (second hand off Trade Me) chest freezer which arrives tomorrow.
The roast chicken is just out of the oven, and soon I will be making the favourite Leek and Chicken Pies for tomorrow as Susan is coming up for the night, and to help me get the 'Lavender Loft' (b&b) organised. And before the day is out there will be chicken stock on the go, always a personal favourite. The sun has just peeked out so I have been out to oollect today's walnuts from under the tree, pictured in the handled basket, the other walnuts are drying. Apparently they need to dry for a couple of months before they become sweet and ready to eat. To my horror on the way back I found some feijoas on the ground with a tree laden with fruit. I hate feijoas, or at least the taste of them, why couldn't it be a fig tree?? Anyway watch this space, there will be a speight of feijoa receipes coming soon....oh and I forgot to mention I was given a bag of green tomatoes yesterday for relish....crikey no rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment