Tuesday 5 June 2012

Clan Anderson, Fairlie South Canterbury

Fairlie, South Canterbury. A place I have had the pleasure of visiting a few times over the years, thanks to my friend Andree. In fact, next year we will have been friends for 30 years, she's a great friend, as many people can attest to! Of course, Fairlie itself, whilst being a pretty rural town, has a far more important status to me! It is home to the Anderson Clan (Andree's family). They are a clan, a group, a family, but they are a number of terrific rural folk! Carol, Gary and I were delighted to be invited and attend Bruce Anderson's (Andree's father) 80th birthday. The last time Andree, Carol and I were at Timbercombe together was for Andree's sister Louise's wedding, which was about 10 years ago. Like all good dos, when you go and stay, there are jobs to be done, which makes it all the more fun, to be involved, even in a small way. Gary captained the hor d'vers and Carol and I followed suit. It was like yesterday with the welcome we received from her family, Bruce, Trish, Jo, Louise and all the extended family. In true style the birthday took on far more than one day, one bottle of whiskey, and one social gathering. We had 48 hours of hilarity, friendship, and for some a similar amount of whiskies - I stuck to wine, and very nice it was too! A lunch for 130 down at the Golf Club, with friends and family travelling from far and wide, a few poignant speeches, but the essence was to celebrate one of South Canterbury's great men, and in our eyes a great Kiwi. and just because I can a couple of arty shots to top my weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment